Friday 9 August 2013

Book Review - Abandon by Meg Cabot

Pierce died. Well she was pronounced as NDE'd - near death experience and when she came back, she wasn't quite the same. But she hopes that moving to a new home and a new school things will get better... but he keeps showing up - John - Lord of the Underworld - even though he shows up exactly when she needs him, but he wants to take her back to the Underworld. 

Okay so for once I am going to be a bit harsh... here it goes...
This book wasn't the best. The plot of the story moved incredibly slow - I guess you could say it dragged. The first maybe half to three quarters of the book was it explaining about Pierce's accident and her trip to the underworld - which got a bit boring after a while, I was waiting for the excitement and romance!

The writing of the book I didn't like either - it was pretty confusing. One minute you would be reading something that was happening in the present and the next you would read about a time when Pierce was seven - I wouldn't have minded this if there had of been a break in the paragraph or maybe if it was written in italics so you would know it was from the past - but that didn't happen.

What I did like about this book however was the story line. I thought it was very interesting the way Hades and Persephone was in a way linked to John and Pierce but the were a few differences between the two and the meaning of why Persephone had to stay with Hades in the Underworld was different also which I really liked - it added a fresh twist on the Greek Myth. I know a lot of people mightn't like the comparisons between the two but I find that a new take on the Greek myth is nice and that just because they're somewhat similar in a way doesn't mean they have to do the same things by script.
Pierce I also liked - she was smart and strong and was pretty easy to relate to - especially in the romance department which I'm sure most teens go through. John I also liked - he was strong, caring and loyal, not to mention extremely bad ass as he is Lord of the Underworld. He knows what he wants and he will do what it takes to get it, but, even when all hope is lost and he doesn't think Pierce wants in - he still protects her. 
The other characters were well written and well developed - they each had their own part in relation to Pierce and her accident. 

Overall I don't really know what to make of this book - it has it good points and its bad points and I'm sure depending on what type of books you like, the good and bad parts might be different for you. I wouldn't say this book isn't read-worthy - but I do have the second book waiting on hand and I'm willing to give it a shot - I just hope the plot moves along at a better pace.


No comments:

Post a Comment