Friday 30 August 2013

Book Review - Watersong Series (Wake and Lullaby) by Amanda Hocking

The first book in the Watersong series in Wake. I was immediately drawn to this book because of the cover and also the blurb. I've never before read a book which was about any mythical water creatures such as sirens so it was very different and I was very interested. 

Penn, Lexi and Thea = Dangerous, Gorgeous and Fearless, these are the type of girls you envy and hate. They're new in town for the summer and have caught everyone's attention, but Gemma has caught theirs. Gemma is smart, carefree, pretty and falling in love with the boy next door, Alex, so when she takes a late night swim and runs into Penn and her friends she knows she's in trouble, what makes it worse it that she wakes in the morning on the beach , sore all over, with no recollection of what happened, but she's knows something has changed, and not something good. 

I loved this book. The writing style was amazing and I loved how Amanda had written it in a certain way that you got a view point from each of the characters throughout - it's not very often that a book would be written from all different perspectives so I really liked that. The overall plot was really good - it was fast paced and kept me 100% interested.
The characters were also amazinggggg. Gemma is smart, funny, kind and overall a great lead (ish) character. Harper, Gemma's sister is also great. She's mature, wise and funny - granted she is a bit over-protective of her baby sister but that's suspected considering the circumstances. Alex - the boy next door and Gemma's boyfriend - is funny and kind and very well suited for Gemma - he helps her when she needs it and doesn't ask any questions and then there's Daniel. Oh mummy - he's strong, funny, sarcastic, gorgeous and a real handy man. He help's Gemma and Harper throughout this book and becomes a real part of Harpers life with no questions asked, he'll do anything he can to help. 
Penn, Lexi and Thea are also great considering their meant to be the bad guys. They're strong, dangerous and drop dead gorgeous. They can make anyone do anything that they want and they aren't afraid to do whatever it takes to get Gemma to join them. The other side characters, like Gemma and Harpers Dad and their friend Marcy are also really well developed and play a big part throughout the book.
Overall a really good read!

Lullaby is the second book in the Watersong Series. Lullaby continues on about a week or two after Wake ends which I like because it helps you to keep track of the time in which things are happening. Lullaby is also more from Harpers POV which I also really like because you get to learn a lot more about her, and Daniel for that matter.

Gemma has no other choice to but run away with sirens - after she has inherited their gifts and is continuously getting stronger in her abilities - she doesn't think she has any other option. But Harper won;t give up on finding her - her and Alex work together to try and get her back - but she also recieves the help of Daniel - she has always been the strong one who everyone else depends on - but can she let herself depend on Daniel?

For me personally, I liked Lullaby over Wake. Mostly because it was from Harpers POV the majority of the time, which I liked. She was sort of in the background in Wake and you never really got a good idea of what her personality was like, other than protective and more mature than she should be. Then Daniel's there, stirring feeling that he shouldn't, he wants her to depend on him, but she's always been so busy being the dependent on everyone else and looking after everyone else.
The plot was also extremely fast paced - there was a build up were you knew something was going to happen but you just didn't know what, and that kept me glued to the book - I literally couldn't put it down. I liked how Amanda kept the main role switching throughout the book and I liked how the main characters had a more prominent role. I also liked how Harper, Alex and Daniel were struggling to understand the concept of sirens so began to dive straight into any books they could find to help them - I don't know why I liked this, I just felt as though I was apart of the team encouraging them to find something and cheering them on when they did. There was also a lot more blood and gore than I had expected there to be, considering it's a romantic mythological book - I was really surprised - but in a good way.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and I couldn't wait to read the next one!






No comments:

Post a Comment