Sunday 6 October 2013

Book Review - Deception by C.J. Redwine

Baalboden has been destroyed. The commanders whereabouts are unknown and Rachel, grief stricken - needs Logan now more than ever. With a ragged group of survivors, it's up to Logan to become the leader they need and abandon the ruins of their home and take their chances in the wasteland. But someone is sabotaging the survivors, picking them off one by one. The uncertainty of each day puts Rachel and Logan's relationship through unbearable strain and it isn't long before they feel their love splintering and to make matters worse - the commander will stop at nothing to destroy them.
Can they make it out of the wasteland alive?

Okay so after reading this, I have a correction to make. After I read the first book Defiance and wrote my review which you can find here, I stated that due to the lack of information given as to what time frame and where they actually were in the world, I had to guess the century they were in, I guessed the 20th, but I was wrong. Throughout the book and Rachel and Logan's journey, you uncover bits and pieces of the old civilisation which in the book, was 60 years beforehand and from some of the items and such that they find, I now state that they are in America and are in the 21st Century - but anyway, onto the review!

After reading defiance, I knew this book was going to have one heck of a plot and a story and I was right. From the very beginning there's suspense, drama, romance and of course a few battles. The overall plot of the book was amazing. A traitor among their own ranks? The commander and army after them? A hidden tracker following their every move? And lets not forget about Rachel and Logan's blooming romance - I mean, it could've went wrong in so many ways but it didn't. There was excitement, suspense that kept me on the tip of my toes dying to turn the page, there were a few sad moments again and I'll admit I got teary eyed (I'm an emotional reader lol) but the story just kept going! Deception is the best title and most fitting title for the book because that's the main plot in it. 

Rachel again in this book is in her shell. She is just a shadow of her former self and is really just being the cause of it. I know she's only 16 and whatnot, but there are a hundred odd people depending on her and Logan and yet all she can do will wallow in her own guilt - that's a big no no for me - rub some dirt on it and move on. I will admit though toward the end she started to focus on what really matters, and let go of her guilt in order to get things done which I liked.
Logan is just, well, he's something else. At 19 - he's an amazing leader. He plans out everything in explicable detail and knows what to do and how to do with every possible scenario and outcome covered - I mean, I was dumbfounded. He knows Rachel isn't right and that puts a strain on their relationship because she won't let him in, but he doesn't give up - he loves her too much. You also find out a lot about Logan's past which did leave me open mouthed - I was definitely not expecting it but at the same time - you can understand and even see how some of the things that happened and were said in Defiance, could lead this conclusion.
All of the other characters have been really well developed and each had a good impact on the story. I loved how you got an insight into Quinn and Willow's background because it's always been so mysterious - they've really grown on me over the story.

Overall, I absolutely loved this book. It was a great sequel to Defiance and definitely didn't lack in action. This is a must read and with the ending - I'm definitely hoping the next book won't disappoint!  


No comments:

Post a Comment